PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, November 12

Child's Play

So you know our house is on the market. Not normally a time to indulge in your creative design impulses. Well, I just can't live like that. Like any day now someone is going to come along and buy our house. It drives me crazy. And with how it's going we could be here for quite some time.

I've decided to just enjoy my home. I won't do anything crazy...no fuchsia walls (like I'd ever do that one), no faux painting of the cabinets....(never do that either just in case you were wondering)...

However,

I was recently inspired by this
I initially saw this photo on this gal's blog...and tucked it away for some future stair project. The other night I was looking through this book and stumbled upon this photo again.

TA DA! My mind was illuminated! I had the perfect stairs for this project right here right now! Not in some imagined future house - but here !

So I went out and made do with the number stencils I found at my local grocery store. Not quite as cute as the ones pictured above but all right. Picked up some charcoal grey acrylic paint and went to work. I will probably need to coat the stair riser with some poly at some point or these little numbers will scratch right off....
These are the stairs off of or living/dining room that lead up to our attic bedroom. We have always used this room as a guest bedroom so it is rarely seen or appreciated. We always have the door leading up to them closed partly because the door blocks our hallway while open and partly because we have little ones that were always wanting to climb them.

So I think we need one of these...The door that is...I'd take one of those kitchens too but I don't think we are to that place yet!

My husband agrees too (which is always the hard part) but now I need to find one for less than the one I saw at Lowe's. Any suggestions?

A door with windows would let in so much natural light (there is a window at the top of these stairs) and it would make our tiny house feel a wee bit bigger as well. Always a plus when you are trying to sell!

P.S. I just have to add....when we bought this house these stairs were painted (with the rest of the house) in a not so lovely faux way. With very dark paint I might add. I had to paint them oh...five times in order for the very dark faux paint job to be hidden forever. Well, two of the paint jobs were because the very heavy floor sander gauged it's way back down the stairs and when we couldn't get our Queen box spring up the stairs and had to rip apart the freshly painted door frame to push and cry and pray it up the stairs. Yes, those go down in the annals of home renovating hell.

9 comments:

Sharon said...

Love it......I hope that you can find a good deal on a door like that......It would look nice...

Unknown said...

Have you tried looking at salvage yards, or at a local lumber yard with the "damaged" goods, that need just a little more TLC because they got dinged up and such?

Leslie said...

oh lovely.
and LOVE that you are loving your now home.

I had to come to that point too. Sometimes I think God brings us to that place during transistion.... to refocus us.... I had lost hope altogethor.

but the number adorable.... and a door would bring lots of light.

I hope a new owner comes in and falls in love with these adorabled numbered stairs... :) Its the touch they love.

Nicoly said...

Love it, can't believe you didn't tell me this on the phone??? I hope you find a door, it would make such a difference!

Lisa said...

it looks amazing!
wishing you didn't "need" to enjoy this home and praying it's new owners find you soon.....

Jacy said...

Oh I love your stairyway! Such a nifty little idea, and I too think a door with windows would look amazing. You might could try looking on Craigslist for a door for really cheap? Hope you find one!!

stephanie h said...

Oh, I love it! I saw that same idea on a blog and tucked it away too. Yours turned out wonderfully!

Do you have one the Habitat ReStores close by? You may can come across a door there, very reasonable.

Chantel Monet said...

Something must be wrong with my blog updater-- I am way behind on your blog! I love that you went for the stair stencils! I have wanted to do that for so long, and have been waiting for our stairs to be re-finished. Thanks for the inspiration!

I would love to get together for cookie baking! My oven only opens halfway, so it's not the best for baking. I will email you soon, we need to get together before all the holiday craziness sets in!

Pamela said...

I love this idea and am so glad you did it. It is adorable. In our 1873 house we had wood stairs and this wood have been a great idea. Alas we moved!