PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, June 2

Momma said there'd be days like this.....

Yesterday we had to run out to take our little runaway (Hudson the dog) for his annual vet appointment. As you can tell from his nickname he has been causing us a little stress lately with his extracurricular activities. So after I paid the vet a painful amount of money I told Eli & Addison that they could have chocolate milkshakes from McDonalds for being good. (Note to new mothers: Bribery REALLY works!) Plus, my ulterior motive was to get myself an XL sweet tea. Have you had their sweet tea? It is my new addiction. Actually it became my addiction right before I found out I had gestational diabetes so I had to go on a sweet tea hiatus. Now I get it as often as I can....

So in an effort to get out of making dinner we stopped off to get pizza. I had to park a ways down from the pizza place in front of this bakery. I noticed a table of women sitting right in front of where I parked as I walked by. We walked back to the car, pizzas in hand and I set Quinn down in front of the car in his carseat. Addison was right on my tail and apparently not paying attention because she slammed into the back of my legs and spilled her ENTIRE chocolate milkshake onto Quinn's lap. It was one of those moments where you just stop and go "I don't really know what to do here...". So I put the pizza in the car (remember there is a dog all alone with pizza in this car) and took my chocolate milkshake covered four week old into the bakery. Those three women at the table? They witnessed it all - front row seats they had. I noticed them laughing as I walked by...I won't hold it against them. It was pretty funny. As soon as I walked into the bakery these wonderful women (I think they were all about my Mom's age and definitely Grandma's themselves) jumped up to offer help. They took charge actually..."we have to get him undressed..here, let's lay him down on our table." So I helped one women strip poor Quinn down to his diaper while another started cleaning out the puddle in my carseat. I had to take the carseat apart to clean it up. The infant insert, the cover, everything had to come off. While I did this one of the women held an almost naked Quinn. I could tell she was in new baby heaven. Sooo thankful to these wonderful women. Greg said if Quinn hadn't been a newborn - if he had been one or two - they wouldn't have helped. Having a fresh one sure helps in these situations!

So we took another trip through the McDonald's drive thru...had to replace poor Addison's milkshake you know and they actually had the nerve to give me an unsweetened tea! I can't drink that stuff! So you know...I really do have my priorities in order. My poor naked baby in the backseat and me getting my drink order right. You gotta do what you gotta do when you are sleep deprived!

So Quinn got a little bath when we got home...actually I had just wiped him down with wipes and put fresh clothes on him but he promptly blew out his diaper so bath time it was!


12 comments:

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Oh man - I've had days like that. :) I know it can be awful when you are in the middle of that "Uh...what do I DO??!!" moment.

Good job mama! You handled it well. You didn't even roll up into a ball and start to cry. - Always my first impulse in those situations. :)

Leslie said...

So I'm dying cracking up here, sorry but it sounds straight out of my life.

and totally wondering if the pizza survived....

priorities friends priorities.

Erin J said...

Oh, that sounds like a doozy! So did the dog stay out of the pizza?

Anonymous said...

I'm eager to hear your next adventure.....And I'm thankful for the lovely helpful ladies. They did exactly as I would have...bless them. Quinn looks quite pleased with his bath. Namma

cammy said...

This sounds like something that would SO happen to me (although I would have been the one who tripped and spilled my milkshake)! I'm wondering if the pizza survived.....it never would have with our dog alone in the car.
BTW, about the bugs on your peonies, I've never had that problem, but I would definitely try spraying them with soapy water. If that doesn't work you might have to use something stronger like Orthonex which I only use if it is extremely necessary. Good luck.
Cammy

Unknown said...

I stumbled upon your blog from Erin's blog. Totally understand the sleep deprived state, Thaddeus is only a couple days younger than Quinn. Glad to read that your family is doing great. But I am commenting, to let you know how to make your own sweet tea!
Brew enough tea to make approx. 2 quarts of hot tea. Once the tea bags are done brewing add 1 1/4 cup to 2 cups sugar, (depending on how sweet you want it) stir, then add ice and let cool. I had a friend in Bremerton who was from West Virginia tell me how to make the southern style sweet tea. Hope you like it. Michelle (used to be Tullis) S.

stephanie h said...

OMGoodness! What a day! It also sounds like you have a pup like we do. :)

I'm with you on the sweet tea, it's a basic necessity here!

Could Quinn seriously be any cuter?

Nicoly said...

I just love how my little Quinn is smirking at the camera, like he totally gets it. Funny kid. And Addison, dear, sweet Addison, I can picture the exact expression on her face post mortem...priceless!

Amanda said...

oh dear...i am laughing so so much...and then crying as i look through the post of the brand new freshly born quinn...i haven't been by in way too long. such a preciously cute boy...and oh my...big sister and big brother are looking so big and precious as well.

Jenny said...

What a crazy day? Did the pizza make it home o.k.?

jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

So fun to meet you today!!! Let's get together sometime this summer.

I didn't find a single red tray today...sigh.