There is something special I think for most of us about the Fall and Winter months. Maybe it's the fact that it's cold outside and warm inside. For me, there isn't much to draw me out of doors when the temperature dips below freezing. And even though we have been having unseasonably warm temperatures for October - into the eighties last week! I just want to snuggle in my cozy sweaters and bring out the projects. You know the ones, those hand worked items that were hastily put away when the leaves were budding out in the Spring. When in my hurry to get my hands in the dirt and make runs to the plant nursery I forgot about all the creative ideas swirling in my mind.
I guess you could say they went dormant for summer.
Now the forecast is for temperatures in the fifties and it is raining today. Aaahhh....perfect.
I'm joining the rest of you in pulling out the soup recipes and mixing up cookie dough.
This is my kind of season.
Last year I began a love affair with embroidery. I love that it can be totally modern or very vintage or some of both. There are some fantastic books out there right now that I love - namely
"Embroidered Effects" by Jenny Hart. This is the book that taught me the different stitches and also has great projects to do yourself.
I am itching to do an embroidered version of this. Another idea that came from Jenny Hart. Maybe as wall art or for a pillow cover. It is one of my favorite drawings done by my oldest.
Feeling Stitchy is an incredible blog for getting inspired or just to see the breadth of work people do when it comes to stitching. Really incredible and beyond my imagination!
I also love, love, love these reproduction vintage transfers. I found these at my local fabric store and quickly bought up an armful! I have a bit of a weakness for embroidered flour sack dish towels. I have found a few at estate sales but not enough. I made a set last Spring of cute days of the week dish towels. I made them to sell but may have to get stitchy again this winter for myself!
So embroidery, as with so many other crafts has limitless possibilities. Try it, it's a little bit addictive!
And to start something new....inspired by those books of quotations I picked up this week - I leave you with this...
"Many a friendship - long, loyal, and self-sacrificing - rested upon no
thicker a foundation than a kind word."
Frederick W. Faber
So embroidery, as with so many other crafts has limitless possibilities. Try it, it's a little bit addictive!
And to start something new....inspired by those books of quotations I picked up this week - I leave you with this...
"Many a friendship - long, loyal, and self-sacrificing - rested upon no
thicker a foundation than a kind word."
Frederick W. Faber





7 comments:
I'd say that this is better than feeling 'Bitchy'.....I need to find a hobby besides cooking and then eating it. You have a way of inspiring me.....love you...Mum
love how much your posting.
and adored the pillowcase project....
gorgeous stitchery friend, that is one of the ways I most picture you cuddled with your toolbox, needle in hand.
So excited to bring my little stitching box over and join you on Wed. evening...xo
I'm totally in love with Doodlestitching! I just made the owl, and it was so much easier than I had anticipated... can't wait to try other projects too!
Jealous. Of your quote book and your skills! :)
And I, dear girl, love you! You are so sweet. I was just thinking about those stitchery books you have that I was oogling.... so need to find some. You are such an inspiration.
X's and O's
M
AWWWW!!! That's my name! :)
Isn't it amazing how winter thoughts spur us into the more "domestic" crafts. Embroidery and knitting for example. I've been doing the same thing here, just without the benefit of the books which I thoroughly enjoy pursuing through in March.
Thinking of you often! Wish I could come over and stitch with you!
xoxo
Post a Comment