PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, November 19

Burlap Inspiration

So I've joined the ranks of all the other like-minded, frugal and crafty Pottery Barn loving Mama's the world over.

I think most of us get the Pottery Barn catalog in the mail. If you are like me, you save it, you look through it over and over again soaking up the inspiration. And occasionally, you see something you think you could take on - and take on for a much more reasonable price!

This Advent calendar caught my eye right away. Some girlfriends and I have recently started meeting for a craft night once a month. We decided our take on this Burlap Advent calendar would be our new project.


(Photo courtesy of Pottery Barn)

It was so fun to see all the different colors of burlap there are out there...I think every one of us girls showed up with a different color!

This project was so fun and simple. I made mine super large like the one PB is selling but it could easily be made much, much smaller!

The Pottery Barn calendar is 34" wide by 57" high. Mine is just a smidge bigger. I wasn't at all exact with my measurements.

Here is a shot of my finished Advent calendar.



This was really easy and fun to make. I found all my supplies at JoAnn's and it was pretty affordable especially if you freehand the numbers.

I chose to buy some small number stencils and then because I wanted some variety in my numbers I bought some larger wooden numbers that I used as stencils as well.

For the black numbers I used a paint pen. After I started "painting" I realized I probably would have gotten a similar result with a black sharpie...which I already owned.

I raided my fabric stash for some fun Christmasy colored fabrics, found some cute buttons at the store as well as some glittery felt. I wasn't sure how I felt about glittery felt as I was buying it but once I cut out the number I realized how much I loved the look!

I attached all of the fabric and felt numbers with a fusible web (Steam-A-Seam).

Once I had a few numbers done I started sewing on the pockets. I tried my hardest to make everything straight and shipshape but it turned out a little wonky anyway! I think it just gives it more of a homespun look!

I didn't worry about my pockets fraying. I sewed up three sides and figure the back stitch at the top of the pockets will keep the top from fraying too much.

Now to fill it up! I am waiting until the night before to stock it up because I know it will be too tempting for my little elves to wait once they spy treats in the pockets!

Some thoughts on filling the Advent calendar pockets:

Candy, candy, candy!
Little notes of promises....rent a fun family movie, go on a walk to the park, do a craft!
Matchbox cars
Small dolls
Bouncy balls
Dollar bills for their piggy banks
Small books

As you can see, the list is endless! I spotted some fun stuff in the dollar bins at Michaels lately as well and hear there are some great finds in the Target dollar bins too!

Do you do an Advent Calendar with your family?

What kinds of treats do you fill yours with?

Do tell! Please share your ideas!

"The world is not as just, not as loving, not as whole as we know it can and should be. But the coming of Christ and his presence among us—as one of us—give us reason to live in hope: that light will shatter the darkness, that we can be liberated from our fears and prejudices, that we are never alone or abandoned."

Life Is an Advent Season . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CONNECTIONS, 11-28-93

14 comments:

Andi Mae said...

Oh, Court! I really really love how yours turned out! I still have so much to do on mine...I have everything I need, just a lot of work to do!

Erik actually just looked over my shoulder at your picture and said, "That is AWESOME! I like hers way better than the PB one!" :)

Hope you are having a great weekend!
xo

Erin J said...

I like yours better than the PB one too! So darling!

We do have one with little doors. You can see here: http://whistlererin.blogspot.com/2008/10/advent-calendar.html

Each slot is small so I usually keep it down to m&m's or something similar but it still generates lots of excitement each morning of December!

Chelle said...

You are so amazing friend.
And I hope it puts a little spring in your step to know that Pottery Barn has got nothing on you, lady!

Love so much how yours turned out! Love you.

Kelley said...

It looks great, Courtney. And I like your numbers better.

Aminta said...

Darling! I love the idea and how you executed it in your own way. Loved it!
But then again, you always amazing me. Because you are amazing!
Love you Court!

Misha said...

Courtney this is SOOO cute. I agree with Erik, too. : )

Last year we put little slips of paper in ours that were events happening around town we could go to that day (gingerbread house showings etc.) and special Advent Bible readings to do together.

Actually here is a link to the readings we put in the pockets of ours: http://beautyandjoy.blogspot.com/2009/11/our-advent-traditions-as-family.html

And here are the "treats and activities" we put in the pockets, too: http://beautyandjoy.blogspot.com/2009/11/our-advent-calender.html

That may be totally different than you were looking for... but I sure love yours! : )

swell.life said...

You've done it again! I LOVE how yours turned out. Even better than PB, I believe. Hooray for homespun.

Your kiddos are probably so giddy about this. December is right around the corner...oh dear, i need to get my advent calendar whipped into shape!


Love that quote.

Amanda said...

This looks so good! Amazing! And I bet it will hold up too. I usually make an Advent calendar out of library book pockets (I just posted on my blog about that), but last year I knit 24 little stockings and hung them on the mantel, and that was our Advent calendar.... filled with treats and notes!

ps I've been reading your blog for awhile- found it through Andi!

Leslie said...

Im amazing??!!! Look at this.... LOVE THIS. Totally want to make one now too, Love burlap + paint.. makes me happy.


Okay so skirt info.

Slice off neckline. Roll Pin, stitch tunnel for elastic band. Insert band. Stich closed done.

Just like an elastic band on any skirt tutorial. But the hem was already done. Couldn't be easier.

Did that make sense?

Nikki said...

This is an awesome Advent calendar!! Very kid-friendly. I love how popular burlap is nowadays...where did you get yours? JoAnn? Or somewhere else? For the life of me, I can't remember seeing bolts of burlap at a fabric store...

Cottage Mommy said...

Nikki,
I did get it at JoAnns and it was way in the back with the muslin. They had a lot of different colors and the price was just right!

Michelle said...

Love it Courtney. I also stole mine from PB, but mine was the tree from PBK. I think i posted the picks on FB a few years ago. I bought all the filler today. Candy, crazy straws, tiny ornaments, wind up toys and the like. I also got jammmies for the 24th and we will put a note in the pocket and send them on a hunt for them. Love Avent Calendars. Yours is awesome! I love you and your crafty heart :)

Anonymous said...

I loved your advent calendar. I have so enjoyed the last few years getting treats, notes, and clues for my grandchildren's advent calendars. They have little boxes to open that I bought several years ago from Linen and Things. My advent treats go to Michigan, Utah, and Ohio (8 grandchildren)Their favorite things seem to be various letters of the alphabet that I send to them and they have to paste the letter drawn out of the boxes to a large chart that I previously have sent to them, in the end it will spell out a message. The treats usually are not put in the boxes, their mothers disperse them as they see fit. A lot of them are service projects like money for Salvation Army pots, notes put in daddy's 'truck thanking him for being a great dad and provider. Call a great grandparent and say you love them, deliver markers, crayons, coloring books to the local hospital for the kid's ward etc.My oldest grandkids usually have Christmas words to unscramble. I love doing this and they look forward to it all Dec. This year I found a neat book at Barnes and Noble for advent that their families read a short story each day with a Bible verse.

Fairlightday said...

So so so darling Courtney! You are amazing! And so perfect how you personalized it and made it your own. It's beautiful I bet it looks darling in your cozy home. :)