I don't do resolutions. Because who can keep them?
I know I can't.
There is an alternative to those guilt inducing resolutions though.
A word of the year.
It is a bit trendy now but I don't care.
I do lots of trendy things.
I love the idea of a word for the year because it isn't just a goal to cross off of a list once it's accomplished. Now I know there are a lot of great resolutions going on out there and I'm not trying to knock those at all.
They just aren't for me. They make me feel like an immediate failure when on day two I'm already stuffing brownies in my mouth while sitting on the couch watching reality television and jamming all of my junk in a drawer instead of dealing with it in a healthy and mature way.
But a word...I think I can do something with that. A word can inspire, guide, flavor, focus, motivate.
It can be the mood music to your year.
Instead of thinking of the long list of to do's and to change and to be's I can think of just one word.
I think it is just right for me.
My word is trust.
trust/trəst/
| Noun: |
| |
| Verb: |
| |
| Synonyms: |
noun. confidence - faith - credit - reliance - belief
verb. believe - confide - rely - credit - hope - entrust
(Thanks Merriam Webster!)
Specifically trust in Jesus Christ, my Savior. We had a message at church recently that really stuck with me.
Such a simple thought but it keeps coming back.
The idea that God wants more than belief from us. The Bible says in James that even the demons believed in God. And we certainly wouldn't say that is the kind of relationship we are striving for...to be equal with demons. In this reference they are addressing the fact that we have to have more to go along with our beliefs...in other words, deeds.
I can't do good work for God if I don't trust Him. I'm too scared. I'm too nervous. But believing that He is everything the Bible says He is..trusting in His character and love...that gives me something to stand upon.
Trust. Isn't that what sets apart intimate relationships from relationships that are distant? You don't trust someone unless you know them. Unless they have proven themselves to you.
These may seem like the basics here but to tell you the honest truth I don't always live my day to day life trusting my Maker.
I let fear and worry get the best of me on an almost daily basis.
I have to learn to trust God in a tangible way every day.
Every moment that I worry I have to immediately turn that over to God...because in my head I do trust Him. That message just doesn't always make it to my heart.
That is why trust is my word for the year.
I don't want to let the fear and anxiety and worry of this world get to me.
I want to live in joy and complete trust.
That doesn't mean that I won't have sadness or despair from time to time but in that sadness or despair I will know firmly that God is my strength.
That He is always good.
That He always loves.
The photo above is one my four year old daughter drew.
She said it was her and I.
She trusts me as only a child can.
God wants us to be like little children as we come to Him too.
Do you have a word for the year?
If you do, I'd love to hear about it!
Layla from The Lettered Cottage is having a Word of the Year Link party.
Go visit and link up...you'll be inspired!
| |





4 comments:
beautiful!
blessings as you journey!
http://bit.ly/y9Jbax
Great word.....I love this post, I love your heart and most of all I LOVE YOU!!!!!!Mum
This is such a beautiful explanation of how and why you've chosen to do a word for the year--you're right, it's trendy, but reading this post I am totally humbled and inspired by your motives and intent. Thanks for sharing!
Oh friend this is so beautiful. Love your heart so much...and I am so inspired by how God has so clearly laid this word on your heart...and I am happy to join you in this, trendy or not. xo
Post a Comment