PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, January 23

{Vintage Monday}



So it's been awhile since I've scored any fun vintage treasures.
It's been awhile since I've even looked in any places you can score vintage treasures.
With the holidays and the empty pocketbook, and you know, the frigid weather, it just isn't normally the time of year that I am out looking for that kind of stuff.

Well, last week I got a text message alerting me that my favorite ever estate sale company was holding a sale starting Thursday at 12:00. I don't know if most people just slow down in the estate sale business in the winter or if I'm just not looking hard enough (which is probably the case because I haven't been looking at all) but this got my insides all excited. I actually wasn't going to be able to go - remember, I was supposed to be driving to the Coast for a girl's weekend. 
But the weather happened. 

So anyway, I called my vintage loving cohort Becca to let her know that there would be a chance to score some vintage goodness in the next few days. She has been a vendor at Farm Chicks as well for the past few years and is gearing up for it again in just four short months. So she is always on the look out for vintage awesomeness. Let's see how many times I can use the word vintage with a fun adjective in this post, shall we?

So, long story short. 
I didn't go on my trip so Thursday Becca and I loaded up the four children between us and braved the worst weather our winter has seen yet to go to this estate sale. 
We said on the way, oh, not many people will be out in this weather. And we are getting there just a mere 1/2 hour after it starts! We'll practically have the place to ourselves!
Not so folks, not so. 
The street was lined in both directions with cars, LINED I say!

It was really annoying. 
I mean, why does everyone have to like what I like? 
{insert heavy sarcasm}

So I sent Becca in while I sat in the car with the kids.
Who really wants to bring four kids into that kind of crazy?

She came back with a few items but said it was basically a dud. 
A man's sale.

I decided I would go in just because I made the effort to get three kids in car seats and do my makeup.
Boy, after this long story you really deserve some photos. 
I only bought three things. I think I spent eleven dollars. 

But three things I really like!


I'm doing you a favor and reposting this photo from above some you don't have to scroll back over all of my unnecessary wordiness to see my first bit of wait for it...vintage amazingness.

It's the little black clock.
Isn't he cute?
He is of the wind up variety and has a bit of a green glow around the edge when it is low light so you can comfortably read the time at 2:00 a.m. 
He was only three dollars! 
I can totally do three dollars.
And I'm feeling the itch to add to his kind.
Can you say impending clock collection? 
Anything is better en masse isn't it?


My second find was this turquoise goblet. 
It was a little pricey at $6.00 but I was buying it just for myself. 
No need to think about making any money off of it. 


And my last bit of vintage goodness was a departure for me. I don't usually go for the clothes but this color caught me right away. I didn't try it on until this morning so I had no idea how it would go over. 
It fit. It has three quarter sleeves which in my opinion takes this Grandma sweater that I'm pretty sure was hand knit up a notch in the modern meter. 
And...it was two dollars!

It was different for me to be shopping an estate sale and not keeping my eye out for things to resell. I'm about 99% sure that I'm not going to be doing Farm Chicks again this year. 
For a lot of reasons. I just don't think it is right for my family right now.
It is a totally bittersweet decision and one that I will be feeling sadness about when I see my friend Becca gearing up for it and when I go and I'm not a part of it anymore. But there will also be a bit of relief that I won't have to carry that weight on my shoulders. I want to be able to enjoy that kind of stuff like I did before I started selling. I did love the selling part but it was just different. 

So, I'll keep you posted on that. We only have a week to make our decisions and turn in our contracts though and this is how I am still feeling. It's funny how things change though. A year ago I opened up my etsy shop and got my business license...had my first ever business cards created! I thought I was going to tie this all into selling at Farm Chicks and maybe do other shows. I wanted to grow whatever I had here and see where I could take it. I didn't think I would be backing out and going backwards in a sense so quickly.

God know though and He knows what is best for my family and I. 
He is giving me an opportunity to put my word of the year {trust}  to use in this area!
There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

So I may be adding more vintage to my etsy shop soon. I definitely need to liquidate and give my husband back our garage if I'm not going to continue to sell anywhere besides etsy. 
In the meantime, I've finally been making more vintage hankie towels....to be put in the shop soon!




Photobucket

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Love the color of the goblet AND the sweater! Go you!
Last fall I went to a Farm Chicks-style show over here called Ruffles & Rust, just a few weeks before finding out I'm pregnant, and I am STILL kicking myself for not buying a gorgeous dresser (repainted Courtney-style) that would have made the perfect changing table. *sigh* Now I'm waiting for the next show in May and praying an equally delectable dresser/changing table is there, and in my price range!

Anonymous said...

Nice finds...I think that the desire to go to those sales will be with you for a very long time. I hear you on the Farm Chick deal....I'll miss your involvement in the "event". Hugs, Mum

Blissful Blooms said...

I TOTALLY know how you're feeling. I had to make that decision this summer and not participate in a local vintage show called The Vintage Whites Market. It is A LOT of pressure, stress, work . . . for a young family to do these fun shows. I just keep reminding myself that just because it's not right for my family now, doesn't mean I can't do it again when the kids are a little older. I also tried a new adventure and rent a little space at an antique store. This has been so much fun and works really well with our family. Just keep seeking Him, and He'll lead you where HE has planned for you. If you obey, He'll bless your socks off! I'll be praying for you and this big decision!

Anonymous said...

Love your little 'finds'. I get all excited when I read about your adventures and yearnings - have an idea of how you feel. I have 5 tiny vintage clocks - they tuck in anywhere and add a 'look' to a setting. And wanted to say thanks for the beautiful card at Christmas - beautiful. Keep on being the mommy you want to be and the rest will fall into place. Love, Dea

Nicoly said...

Well I will happily drive across the state to SHOP Farm Chicks with without all the stress...might even bring over a vintage loving posse of friends to share the fun with! Think how great we'll feel on Friday and Sunday evening when we will not be doing ANY work!!!